Under AS1657:2018 Clause 7.3.4, a step-type ladder must have handrails complying with AS1657:2018 Clause 5.6 provided on both sides of said ladder & must also comply with the following requirements:
- The clearspace between the handrails must not be less than 550 mm or greater than 750 mm.
- The clear distance between the handrail & the plane of the nosing of the treads, which is measured perpendicular to the slope of the step-type ladder, must not be less than 150 mm or greater than 200 mm.
- The bottom of the handrails shall commence at a point not more than 900 mm above the landing.
Where the handrails of a step-type ladder join into handrails on a walkway or platform above, there are additional requirements that must be met:
- The section view below shows a custom height Assistrail AR10 system mounted onto a 65° ladder joining into Tuffrail TR25 on a platform above.The handrails of the step-type ladder & platform/walkway should be blended to form a smooth transition to allow continuous contact with the handrail while moving from the ladder to the platform/walkway and vice versa.
- Alternatively, handrails should be located to –
- Permit an uninterrupted hand passage along the handrail surface until the user has reached the walkway or platform.
- Ensure a clearance of not less than 50 mm between the handrail surface & any adjacent structure that could make contact with the user’s hand.
- Ensure that any gap measured between the ends or components of the handrails does not exceed 100 mm measured horizontally.
- Follow the slope of the ladder; and
- Avoid the need for direction changes that might affect the user’s stability.
The section view to the right shows a custom height Assistrail AR10 system mounted onto a 65° ladder joining into Tuffrail TR25 on a platform above.
To save time, resource and ease of installation when specifying Moddex guardrails or balustrades please consult the Compliance Tip or contact us on 1800 663 339 or email@example.com